Sirocco Comes To Orokonui
Join untamedNZ tour company for something a little different!
Our favourite parrot and New Zealand's Conservation Spokesbird is coming to Orokonui Ecosanctuary...
It's a tricky place to get to so we are offering transport and tour to see one of New Zealand's most endangered birds the Kakapo with a total known adult population of just 149 individuals!
Pickup from Hotel or Any Central Dunedin Location to begin the tour and an easy drive up to Orokonui Ecosanctuary.
Sirocco's Tour (group size may be up to 25 people) begins with a 15 minute presentation on Kakapo and DoC's Kakapo Recovery Programme in the Orokonui Visitor Centre then it is out into the ecosanctuary. A 15 minute flat walk to Sirocco's enclosure and then half an hour with a main man - Sirocco and his handler answering all of your questions.
Following your time with Sirocco a short walk back to the Orokonui Visitor Centre and then back to Dunedin City to get some rest while Sirocco goes exploring the forest himself!
1. Kakapo are nocturnal birds so this tour runs in the evening. Depending on availability of spaces the tour could start from your pickup location at 6.00pm, 6.40pm or 7.20pm - this will be confirmed by email after booking but please state your preferred time (no guarantees) at booking in the additional info section.
2. Tours on the 15th, 22nd and 27th are already completely booked so please choose a different date.
Evening - 2.5 hours (approx.)
What is included:
- Transport (Hotel to Hotel, or to/from Port Chalmers Cruise Ship Terminal)
- Guided Sirocco Tour at Orokonui Ecosantuary.
What to bring:
- A warm, waterproof jacket
- Your camera
- Comfortable walking shoes